Friday, December 5, 2008

Impoverished HIV Patients in California

Hey Everyone,

This just came out today in the LA Times about California's health care system for poor patients with HIV:

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-me-hiv5-2008dec05,0,6358115.story

In 2002, Governor Gray Davis signed a bill into law that would make Medi-cal more accessible to low-income HIV patients.

Unfortunately, California's Department of Health Care Services failed to take the mandated steps to put the law into action.

Now, a LA County Superior Judge has decreed that Governor Schwarzenegger's administration has not fulfilled it's obligation to enact the law.

The intent of the law was to cut the costs of AIDS care by switching patients from expensive fee-for-service systems into managed care. The savings would then be used to extend Medi-cal coverage to more poor HIV patients.

A spokesperson for the Department claims that the increased cost of care could not be resolved by the proposed changes. However, instead of looking at other strategies for making the changes successful, it seems that the program was just abandoned.

It is disappointing to see our Department of Health Care Services giving up so easily on a project that could pave the way for more universal coverage. It's hard to say how much analysis or effort they put into the situation from reading just one article, but it would be nice to see some inspiring dedication and creative efforts put into something that is this important. If anyone has any insight on what went on behind the scenes, I'd love to know!

Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, it makes you wonder why we chose Schwarzenegger over Davis, who was also the person to take Prop 187 off the table once he came into office (Davis, not S).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good-day every one, my name is Mike Clinton, i want to share my experience with the general public on how i got my hiv aids cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of hiv, but i never believed them, but one day bi wanted to tests the faith of the DR OGBOLE, then i contacted him on his email on DROGBOLETEMPLEOFCURE@GMAIL.COM, when i contact him, he told me so many things about my life and so many thing about me which was 100% correct, then i pleaded with him to help me out, then to my greatest surprise he prepared some medicine and he asked me to take it, which i did exactly the way the asked me to take them, he told me that in three days time tat i should go and check on my hiv status, i was kind of been surprise, when i went to the hospital to check of my status, the doctor was so surprise when he saw that i was hiv negative, i did not know how i am going to thank DR OGBOLE for his good work so i decided to share with the general public on what the great DR did for me, i am so thankful to GOD, for sending DR OGBOLE to my rescue, of you are out there having same illness you can contact him so he can help you out on DROGBOLETEMPLEOFCURE@GMAIL.COM, i live in united kingdom, you can also call me if you wish on +447031948646, thanks for sharing from my experience.........................

    ReplyDelete