Friday, November 21, 2008

Broken Promises

Hi all!

Congratulations on completing our first round of courses in med school =)

When I had originally signed up for the ethnic minorities presentation group, the particular group of interest I had in mind was Native Americans. I know there are many reservations in this area and I do not feel that I have a good grasp on the disparities they face. Before our group decided to focus on the Latino population, I began research on Native Americans and wanted to share with you one of the most informative resources I came across. It is extremely long, but I felt it would be a good resource for all of us because this is a population of patients we WILL be treating in San Diego. (Plus it has a handy table of contents).

The document also provides a history of health policies and decisions involving the Native Americans--attempts at solutions which have ultimately not been accomplished yet. It is incredible what a role the federal government has played in the health care of Native Americans and ultimately how their relationship has lead to health disparities experienced by this population.

I hope you all find this educational and interesting.

And have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Cassidy

http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/nahealth/nabroken.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment